Annual Sommelier Grant and Bursary
During her fifteen year stint at Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient, Chef Chantel Dartnall has enhanced South Africa’s status as a gourmet destination on the international culinary map, thanks to her meticulous approach to Botanical Cuisine.
She has twice been named South African Chef of the Year, whilst Restaurant Mosaic has continuously been placed in the top ten eating establishments in the country. Chef Chantel truly is among the elite in the food world, with Mosaic previously listed amongst the top 200 best restaurants in the world by the prestigious French La Liste World Restaurant Awards. She received the title of the Best Female Chef in the World for 2017 and was also named the Chef of the Year for Africa and the Middle East by the prestigious Luxury Travel Guide Awards in that same year. Chantel was placed at number 32 of the best chefs in the world by The Best Chef Awards Top 100 list for 2017, listed as one of the highest positioned women and one of only three to make the top 50.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ANNUAL GRANT
• French Speaking – preferably on DELFT A1 French from Alliance Française level / Available to further studies in French during the next year.
• Available to travel freely between SA and France (South African or European Passport holder)
• Problem solver
• Eager to improve knowledge (we will fund all agreed upon studies)
• Emotionally mature
• Good IQ
• Groomed and well presented
• Confident but not arrogant
• Softly spoken
• Valid driver’s license
• 25 years and over
• Have a sense of enjoyment of life
• WSET Level 2 (preferably)
• Fluent in English
The completed Grant Application to be found on the Legacy Cultural Foundation website
EXPOSURE FOR THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
The grant for the South African sommelier of Restaurant Mosaic at Château des Tesnières is available with inception of 01 January 2024, as our vision for this candidate is to be able to grow and develop along with us over the next 12-month period.
During this period Restaurant Mosaic would like to assist the selected candidate to further their studies and affiliations with recognized and prestigious bodies in the field of wine and service.
Preferably the candidate should be ready to complete their WSET studies up to the Diploma level and want to further their studies as sommelier even further. Restaurant Mosaic will provide a full bursary for the selected candidate to complete their agreed upon studies to the highest level during the twelve months.
The position will also entail that the selected candidate will be actively involved with us in the establishment and maintenance of the wine cellar at Château des Tesnières, in France.
The candidate will travel between South Africa and Europe with us to personally be introduced to the numerous growers, producers and negociants that will be represented on our wine list.
The candidate will learn to liaise with the producers and negociants with regards to orders and allocations and will need to attend selected wine tastings and events.
The candidate will participate in and be taught the administrative processes that sommeliers are exposed to on how to secure wines on allocation, how the wines are ordered and received, the unpacked and storing of wines in the cellar, the studying and uploading of extensive information and documentation received from various professional bodies and producers to our own personalized wine program, and the serving of these wines at formal events.
SYNOPSIS OF GRANT BENEFITS AND TUTORING:
• Participate in the stocking of the cellar
• Assist in purchasing of wine
• Negotiations and correspondence with negociants and wine estates / domaines / châteaux
• Report directly and work closely with the Cellar Master and the Patron Chef
• Conduct and facilitate wine pairings in liaison with the Chantel
• Studying and keeping information on the Cellar Program up to date
• Meeting, visit and liaise with negociants and wine estates / domaines / châteaux
• Advising on and recommending wines to visitors to the château during the renovation project, according to their personal wine needs, i.e. taste, food and wine pairing, the occasion or the budget.
• Selecting wines, creating beverage lists and managing stock.
• Build and maintain the wine list according to the needs of Restaurant Mosaic.
• Conducting wine and other beverage tastings.
• A strong knowledge and sense of food and wine pairing and ability to create tasteful food and wine pairings.
• Continually develop an extensive knowledge of different wines and where it is produced.
• Develop an authoritative knowledge of international vineyards and wineries
• Understanding of the winemaking process of the different wine regions.
• Traveling to meet with wine producers and visit wine-tasting events.
• The ability to determine wine faults and maintain proper temperatures in order to showcase products at their maximum potential.
• Staff accommodation will be provided in France.
• Full support and all cost paid to obtain agreed upon academic qualifications.
• All cost to be paid for the attendance and completion of exams.
• All work-related travel expenses will be covered, including airline and train tickets.
• Full board and lodging during wine estate visits will be covered.
• All costs and assistance provided for Visa applications.
• Annual visits to European wine regions, re. Champagne, Burgundy, Bordeaux, Rhone, Alsace while in France, and similar when in South Africa.
HOW TO PROCEED
With Chef Chantel’s vision to gain the highest possible international recognition with her new venture in France, we invite all suitable candidates to apply via the Legacy Cultural Foundation website to be considered for this annual grant.
Please ensure that applications are received before the Legacy Cultural Foundation council conclave convenes in October 2023 to consider new applications.
Apply for this position
Fill in the form below