Awards & Accolades
In recognition of their international success, Chef Chantel Dartnall and Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient have been awarded a wide variety of international and local awards.
Chef Chantel Dartnall and her teams achieved international acclaim, numerous awards, and gained incredible friendships along the way.
HAUTE GRANDEUR GLOBAL AWARDS
The Haute Grandeur Global Awards™ ceremony is revered as the most prestigious event on the luxury hospitality calendar, bringing the industry’s most esteemed thought leaders, decision makers, influencers and personalities together in celebration of the world’s finest hospitality experiences. The Haute Grandeur Global Awards™ are recognised as a guaranteed golden stamp of excellence. To win this coveted Award, an establishment must excel on all levels.
Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient and Executive Chef Chantel Dartnall received a grand total of four coveted awards from Haute Grandeur Global Awards™ 2020.
- Best European Cuisine in Africa – 2020
- Best French Cuisine in Africa – 2020
- Best Hotel Restaurant in Africa – 2020
- Best Romantic Atmosphere in Africa – 2020
- Best Chef in Africa – 2019
- Best European Cuisine in South Africa – 2019
- Best Scenic Setting in Africa – 2019
- Best Restaurant – 2020
- Best Service – 2020
- Recommended – 2020
- LaListe The Best Wine List 2019
- LaListe Top 200 International Selection 2019
- LaListe top 1000 International Selection 2017 – 2018
Wine Spectator’s Restaurant Awards programme, currently celebrating its 40th year of identifying the world’s best wine programmes, recognizes restaurants whose wine lists offer interesting selections, are appropriate to their cuisine and appeal to a wide range of wine lovers. Their highest award – The Grand Award – is only given to restaurants that show an uncompromising, passionate devotion to the quality of their wine programmes.
Restaurant Mosaic at the Orient has once again been awarded the coveted Wine Spectator Grand Award in 2020 from this highly-acclaimed international publication, for its incomparable wine list and cellar. Mosaic holds the distinction of being the first restaurant from the African continent to win this prestigious award in 2018.
- Wine Spectator – Grand Award 2020
- Wine Spectator – Grand Award 2019
- Wine Spectator – Grand Award 2018
- Wine Spectator – Best of Award of Excellence 2014 – 2017
THE BEST FEMALE CHEF and # 32 of 100 TOP CHEFS IN THE WORLD
Launched in Poland in 2016, this international competition seeks out the world’s top chefs in terms of culinary artistry and visual presentation. The winning chefs are selected in six categories by 300 voters comprising chefs, food writers and culinary experts across the globe as well as 1,5 million followers on the competition’s digital platform.
- The Best Chef Awards 2019 – Top 300 in the World
- The Best Chef Awards 2018 – Top 300 in the World – #79 Chantel Dartnall (South Africa)
- The Best Chef Awards 2017 –
- The Best Lady Chef 2017
- The Best Chef Awards 2017 – Top 300 in the World – #32 Chantel Dartnall (South Africa)
- The Best Chef Awards 2016 -Top 300 in the World – #261 Chantel Dartnall (South Africa)
WORLD OF FINE WINE 2019
World of Fine Wine “World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2019″ – The Best Wine List in the World
Restaurant Mosaic has done it again! This time taking home the coveted The Best Wine List in the World 2019 award from The World of fine Wine – The World’s Best Wine List Awards 2019!
In addition Mosaic has again received the award for The Best Hotel Wine List in the World 2019, as well as The Champions’ League Best By-the-Glass Wine List 2019, along with awards in the following categories for Africa and the Middle East:
- Best Hotel Wine List
- Best Long Wine List
- Best Champagne & Sparkling Wine List
- Best Dessert & Fortified Wine List
- Best Spirits List
- Best By-the-Glass Wine List with Coravin
WORLD OF FINE WINE 2018
World of Fine Wine “World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2018″ – The Best Hotel Wine List in the World
Restaurant Mosaic has taken home the coveted The Best Hotel Wine List in the World 2018 award from The World of fine Wine – The World’s Best Wine List Awards 2018!
In addition Mosaic has again received awards in the following categories for Africa and the Middle East:
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2018 – Best Hotel Wine List in the World
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2018 (Africa and Middle East) – Best Hotel Wine List
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2018 (Africa and Middle East) – Best Long Wine List
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2018 (Africa and Middle East) – Best Dessert & Fortified Wine List
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2018 (Africa and Middle East) – Best Champagne & Sparkling Wine List
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2018 (Africa and Middle East) – Best Wine By The Glass List
WORLD OF FINE WINE 2017
World of Fine Wine “World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2017”
Restaurant Mosaic has received awards in the following categories for Africa and the Middle East:
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2017 – Best Wine List
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2017 – Best Champagne & Sparkling Wine List
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2017 – Best Dessert & Fortified Wine List
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2017 – Best By-the-Glass Wine List
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2017 – Best Long Wine List
- World’s Best Wine Lists Awards 2016 – Best Overall Wine List in Africa & the Middle East
EAT OUT RESTAURANT AWARDS
The Eat Out S. Pellegrino Chef of the Year Award is an annual award recognising an outstanding chef working in South Africa.
- Chef Chantel Dartnall: Eat Out S.Pellegrino Chef of The Year Awards – Best Chef in South Africa – 2014
- Chef Chantel Dartnall: Eat Out S.Pellegrino Chef of The Year Awards – Best Chef in South Africa – 2009
- Sommelier Moses Magwaza: Eat Out Sommelier Service award 2018
- Sommelier Moses Magwaza: Eat Out Sommelier Service award 2017
- Restaurant Mosaic: Top 10 Restaurants in South Africa 2007 to 2018
- Restaurant Mosaic: Eat Out Service Award 2017
RESTAURANT ASSOCIATION SOUTH AFRICA
Presented by the Restaurant Association of South Africa, the awards honour restaurants that strive for excellence and is recognition of the highest honour for service excellence and overall contribution to the upliftment of the restaurant industry. Mosaic has won the following awards:
- RASA Rosetta Award Best Elegant Dining Restaurant 2018
- RASA Rosetta Life Icon Award 2017
- RASA Rosetta Service Excellence Award 2011 / 2012 / 2016
- RASA Rosetta Award – Best Restaurant of the Year 2012 / 2014 / 2015
HP GOURMET GUIDE
The inaugural JHP Gourmet Guide was launched in May 2016 by brand performance specialist Jenny Handley. This guide navigates readers from major cities through country escapes en route, highlighting gourmet getaways, refined dining and fabulous food. The plate rating – which equates to global standards of evaluating and rewarding refined and fine-dining establishments – celebrates the uniqueness of South African cuisine; from classic and conservative to daring and different. One plate highlights exceptional cuisine; two plates are presented for exceptional dining that demands a detour; and three for a world-class dining experience that is worthy of a flight.
Restaurant Mosaic received the following ratings from the JHP Gourmet Guide:
- Three Plate rating for 2018, 2019 and 2020, presented for a world-class dining experience that is worthy of a flight.
- Swiss Airlines Culinary Innovation Prize 2017 – Chef Chantel Dartnall
- Two Plate rating for 2016 – 2017, presented for exceptional dining that demands a detour.
AMERICAN EXPRESS DINING AWARDS
THE AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM FINE DINING AWARDS are widely recognised as a credible barometer for discerning diners seeking a quality dining experience. The awards were introduced in 1997 as a service to guide diners toward superior dining opportunities. The selection criteria include quality of cuisine, service (including menu and wine knowledge), wine list, décor and ambience, with strong emphasis on maintaining high levels of consistency.
DINERS CLUB INTERNATIONAL WINE LIST AWARDS
The Diners Club International Wine List Awards recognizes those establishments whose wine lists not only provide a balanced range of wines but that also best complement the food on offer.Restaurant Mosaic has consistently received the top award for our wine list:
- The Diners Club International Wine List Award – ICON Award 2018 to 2019
- The Diners Club International Wine List Award – Diamond Status 2010 to 2017
- The Diners Club International Wine List Award – Best Overall Wine List in South Africa 2014 & 2017
- The Diners Club International Wine List Award – Top Diamond Wine List Award 2015 to 2017
- The Diners Club International Wine List Award –
- The Best in Gauteng 2015 to 2017
- The Diners Club World’s 50 Best Restaurant Academy – Rising Star Chef Chantel Dartnall
- Travelers’ Choice Winner – 2020
- Certificate of Excellence – Hall of Fame 2019
- Certificate of Excellence Award 2013 – 2019
THE DINERS CLUB® 50 BEST DISCOVERY SERIES
The series highlights the next generation of dining destinations – as voted for by The Diners Club® World’s 50 Best Restaurants Academy, the mechanism used to create the World’s 50 Best Restaurants.In 2016 Mosaic have been recommended for this list by the Diners Club panel of almost 1 000 independent experts from across the globe.
- 2016 Mosaic have been recommended for this list
LUXURY TRAVEL GUIDE
The Luxury Travel Guide awards recognise and celebrate excellence across all sectors of the affluent travel and tourism industry in Europe, The Americas, Asia & Australasia, and Africa & Middle East. The awards program selects winners based on their achievements and strengths in the travel industry, with all winners subject to the same rigorous assessment criteria carried out by experienced in-house professionals, as well as a number of celebrity guest judges. This ensures that only the most deserving teams, businesses and individuals walk away with one of these prestigious accolades.
- Chef of the Year for 2017 for Africa & Middle East
- 2016 – One of the highlighted properties for Africa & Middle East
CHAÎNE DES RÔTISSEURS
CHAÎNE DES RÔTISSEURS, an international gastronomic society founded in Paris in 1950, traces its origin back to 1248. At that time, the French King Louis IX (later canonised as Saint Louis) wished to thank the ″Oyeurs″ or goose roasters – an international society devoted to choice dining and the camaraderie of the table. Chaîne des Rôtisseurs creates bonds of friendship across cultures and boundaries. It promotes the art of fine cuisine amongst both amateur and professional gastronomes, and supports the development of young culinary professionals.
- Restaurant Mosaic became a proud member in 2000 and received our Blaison in 2008
CONDÉ NASTE HOUSE & GARDEN GOURMET AWARDS
The inaugural Condé Nast House and Garden magazine Gourmet Awards launched on 6 December 2016 with an exclusive cocktail party at the picturesque Klein Constantia Wine Estate. Chantel was one of only seven Chefs awarded and proudly took home the “Best Tasting Menu” Award! Other awards include:
- Best Fine Dining 2018
- Best Tasting Menu 2016
TOP 100 SOUTH AFRICA WINE LIST QUALITY AWARD
TOP 100 WINE LISTS QUALITY AWARD is judged by the country’s best Sommeliers. They are independent, professional and report to the Challenge Chairman Jörg Pfützner. The top Inspirational Award is only given to 10 winning establishments in the whole of South Africa with a score of 90+ points.
- Best Wine List in South Africa 2013 & 2014
TOURISM HOSPITALITY COUNCIL SOUTH AFRICA
- SA’s FINEST 2018 –Best Restaurant in South Africa 2018
- SA’s FINEST 2018 – Best Chef in South Africa 2018
ROSSOUW’S RESTAURANT GUIDE
ROSSOUW’S RESTAURANTS is an annual publication and an independent guide to the best restaurants in South Africa. It is known for its candid descriptions and honest opinions.
- Restaurant Mosaic – One of only 30 restaurants country wide in their “Highly Recommended” category – 2015
- Best Wine List in South Africa 2013 & 2014
SOUTH AFRICA’S WINE LIST OF THE YEAR AWARD
All lists were scored by an experienced team of Judges and the Awards were open to every restaurant in the country where each restaurant has an opportunity to receive a one, two or three flute award.Restaurant Mosaic received two prestigious awards:
- The Best Long List for 2012 and the top award of Three Flutes