During her fifteen year stint at Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient, Chef Chantel Dartnall has enhanced South Africa’s status as a gourmet destination on the international culinary map, thanks to her meticulous approach to Botanical Cuisine.
She has twice been named South African Chef of the Year, whilst Restaurant Mosaic has continuously been placed in the top ten eating establishments in the country. Chef Chantel truly is among the elite in the food world, with Mosaic previously listed amongst the top 200 best restaurants in the world by the prestigious French La Liste World Restaurant Awards. She received the title of the Best Female Chef in the World for 2017 and was also named the Chef of the Year for Africa and the Middle East by the prestigious Luxury Travel Guide Awards in that same year. Chantel was placed at number 32 of the best chefs in the world by The Best Chef Awards Top 100 list for 2017, listed as one of the highest positioned women and one of only three to make the top 50.
Chantel combines her classical French training with her love of nature. She is well known for creating the art of nature on her plates, with delightful botanical dishes. She is passionate about using organic and seasonal produce with her innovative approach to food preparation and presentation. She has always embraced her femininity and feels that it is important for a chef to represent their true personality on the plates, they offer to their guests.
The magnificent success of Restaurant Mosaic was always inextricably linked to Chantel and her brigade; both the visible and the hidden members of the team who worked so incredibly diligently to position Restaurant Mosaic as one of the most awarded restaurants in South Africa, and to achieve their mutual goal of creating truly unforgettable dining experiences.
Restaurant Mosaic at the Orient allowed Chantel and her team to pioneer Botanical Cuisine locally in South Africa, inspiring a variety of local chefs and restaurants to incorporate many aspects of that unique style into their own repertoires. Chantel and her teams achieved international acclaim, numerous awards, and gained incredible international friendships along the way. Upon closing their doors in South Africa in 2021, Restaurant Mosaic was able to leave behind a proud legacy as one of the top fine dining restaurants in South Africa, with a firmly established international presence, to be continued at their new premises at Château des Tesnières in Britanny, France..
THE WINE CELLAR – ACHIEVED TOP AWARDS IN THE WORLD
Under the guidance of the Cellar Team at Restaurant Mosaic, the wine cellar has also been heralded for having one of the finest and most comprehensive wine cellars in the world, having comprised of more than 80 000 bottles of wine under 5 500 different South African and international labels. Not surprisingly, it has been the recipient of numerous international awards and accolades and will continue to build on and expand this proud reputation at Restaurant Mosaic at Château des Tesnières:
• Wine Spectator – Grand Award 2018, 2019, 2020
• Wine Spectator – Best of Award of Excellence 2014 – 2017
• World of Fine Wine -World’s Best Wine List Awards
• Best Overall in Africa and the Middle East, World’s Best Wine Lists Awards, World of Fine Wine, 2016, 2018, 2019
RELOCATION FROM SOUTH AFRICA TO FRANCE
After saying farewell and celebrating an incredible 15 years at Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient in South Africa, Chantel and her family was ready to embark on their next chapter.
While the world was shut down for the better part of two years, they found themselves in the beautiful region of Brittany, France, where they discovered the perfect location to continue the culinary journey of Restaurant Mosaic – a gorgeous Neo-Gothic castle just a few minutes outside the historic village of Vitré – Château Des Tesnières.
The château itself is an exquisite 19th-century castle, constructed in 1860 and is set in 15 acres of wooded parkland. This idyllic place will soon again be a destination for guests and friends, near and far, from South Africa and the world, to enjoy its natural beauty along with Chef Chantel’s Botanical cuisine and the best wines the world can offer. Our Cellar Master is enthusiastically at work and has assembled the first 25 000 bottles of perfectly matured wines to start the restaurant’s wine list, including 12 000 bottles of the best that France can offer, shipped back to France from our cellars in South Africa.
Chantel is currently assembling her new team for Restaurant Mosaic at Château des Tesnières and have several positions available for South Africans from 2025 onwards. Candidates who have been selected for the grant and who have excelled during this annual bursary program, may be considered for an extended bursary or even a permanent position as part of the Mosaic team in France.
This team will work together with Chantel during the renovation period of the château to hone their skills to perfection for a spectacular opening early in 2025.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ANNUAL GRANT
• French Speaking – preferably on DELFT A1 French from Alliance Française level / Available to further studies in French during the next year.
• Available to travel freely between SA and France (South African or European Passport holder)
• Problem solver
• Eager to improve knowledge (we will fund all agreed upon studies)
• Emotionally mature
• Good IQ
• Groomed and well presented
• Confident but not arrogant
• Softly spoken
• Valid driver’s license
• 25 years and over
• Have a sense of enjoyment of life
• WSET Level 2 (preferably)
• Fluent in English
The completed Grant Application to be found on the Legacy Cultural Foundation website
EXPOSURE FOR THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
The grant for the South African sommelier of Restaurant Mosaic at Château des Tesnières is available with inception of 01 January 2024, as our vision for this candidate is to be able to grow and develop along with us over the next 12-month period.
During this period Restaurant Mosaic would like to assist the selected candidate to further their studies and affiliations with recognized and prestigious bodies in the field of wine and service.
Preferably the candidate should be ready to complete their WSET studies up to the Diploma level and want to further their studies as sommelier even further. Restaurant Mosaic will provide a full bursary for the selected candidate to complete their agreed upon studies to the highest level during the twelve months.
The position will also entail that the selected candidate will be actively involved with us in the establishment and maintenance of the wine cellar at Château des Tesnières, in France.
The candidate will travel between South Africa and Europe with us to personally be introduced to the numerous growers, producers and negociants that will be represented on our wine list.
The candidate will learn to liaise with the producers and negociants with regards to orders and allocations and will need to attend selected wine tastings and events.
The candidate will participate in and be taught the administrative processes that sommeliers are exposed to on how to secure wines on allocation, how the wines are ordered and received, the unpacked and storing of wines in the cellar, the studying and uploading of extensive information and documentation received from various professional bodies and producers to our own personalized wine program, and the serving of these wines at formal events.
SYNOPSIS OF GRANT BENEFITS AND TUTORING:
• Participate in the stocking of the cellar
• Assist in purchasing of wine
• Negotiations and correspondence with negociants and wine estates / domaines / châteaux
• Report directly and work closely with the Cellar Master and the Patron Chef
• Conduct and facilitate wine pairings in liaison with the Chantel
• Studying and keeping information on the Cellar Program up to date
• Meeting, visit and liaise with negociants and wine estates / domaines / châteaux
• Advising on and recommending wines to visitors to the château during the renovation project, according to their personal wine needs, i.e. taste, food and wine pairing, the occasion or the budget.
• Selecting wines, creating beverage lists and managing stock.
• Build and maintain the wine list according to the needs of Restaurant Mosaic.
• Conducting wine and other beverage tastings.
• A strong knowledge and sense of food and wine pairing and ability to create tasteful food and wine pairings.
• Continually develop an extensive knowledge of different wines and where it is produced.
• Develop an authoritative knowledge of international vineyards and wineries
• Understanding of the winemaking process of the different wine regions.
• Traveling to meet with wine producers and visit wine-tasting events.
• The ability to determine wine faults and maintain proper temperatures in order to showcase products at their maximum potential.
• Staff accommodation will be provided in France.
• Full support and all cost paid to obtain agreed upon academic qualifications.
• All cost to be paid for the attendance and completion of exams.
• All work-related travel expenses will be covered, including airline and train tickets.
• Full board and lodging during wine estate visits will be covered.
• All costs and assistance provided for Visa applications.
• Annual visits to European wine regions, re. Champagne, Burgundy, Bordeaux, Rhone, Alsace while in France, and similar when in South Africa.
HOW TO PROCEED
With Chef Chantel’s vision to gain the highest possible international recognition with her new venture in France, we invite all suitable candidates to apply via the Legacy Cultural Foundation website to be considered for this annual grant.
Please ensure that applications are received before the Legacy Cultural Foundation council conclave convenes in October 2023 to consider new applications.